A resume is one of the main documents that interviewers of business development managers scrutinize. Before any recruiter sets the time to interview you, they meet you through your CV. Given this, anyone seeking a business development manager position has an opportunity to impress potential employers using a well-thought-out resume. Any job seeker cannot even start to compete without a resume. In addition, recruiters will quickly dismiss an inferior CV early in the recruitment process. That is why creating a striking business development manager resume is imperative.
With a superior resume, you let potential employers know your abilities, achievements, and what you can do. Creating a resume that wins interviews can be a challenging task. But worry not because we shall help you with that. This article presents a sample resume that anyone seeking a business development manager position can use. You are at liberty to modify it to fit your specific qualification, expertise, achievements, and experience. Using this sample, you will create a superior resume to help you stand out.
Business Development Manager Job Description
Modern businesses and organizations are increasingly looking for business development managers to help them develop and get to the next level. These managers are the masterminds who help companies to create strategies, conquer new markets, and embrace cutting-edge business opportunities.
A business development manager is a professional who enhances the market position of a company and helps to maximize its financial growth. These managers are experts who come up with strategic goals, stay informed about market trends, and discover new business opportunities. They collaborate with business stakeholders and partners to enhance service delivery and customer experience. They lead planning and proposal processes relating to business marketing and bid preparation. Moreover, these professionals conduct market research on industry trends and the competitive landscape. Their work also includes training and mentoring new salespersons.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Business Development Manager
- Conceive business opportunities to support the development and profitability of the company
- Create and maintain close and strong customer relationships
- Ensure the visibility of a business including its products and services
- Deliver high-quality and cutting-edge customer services to potential and existing clients
- Come up with strategies, work plans, and activities to promote the brand and increase its awareness
- Create suitable approaches and methods for reaching new markets and market retention
- Leverage social media, email, and other channels to advertise products and services and communicate effectively to potential customers
- Conduct sales and informational presentations to prospective customers during marketing events
- Plan all operational and promotional aspects of running marketing activities and events
- Establish and nurture good relationships with other departments and personnel and involve them in marketing and development events and programs
- Review the market regularly to understand to discover gaps in marketing and outreach and local sales trends to facilitate the development of strategies to respond to competition and market dynamics
- Research new business opportunities such as new markets, customers, growth areas, products and services, and new approaches to reach the new markets
- Develop effective ways to reach out to new clients including generating cold calls and leads to prospective customers
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Interpersonal skills to establish and develop customer relationships
- Brand management
- A collaborative approach to work and teamwork skills
- Staff management
- Tenacity to meet and exceed business development targets
- Strategic marketing
- Decision-making skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Negotiation skills
- Integrated marketing
- Ability to multitask and manage complex projects
- Strategic and critical thinking
Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, or any other related field
- Experience in marketing and sales
- Proficient in using basic computer programs such as Word, Outlook, and Excel
According to Glassdoor.com, a business development manager earns $98,879 while a senior business development manager gets $122,675. A junior business development manager makes $71,437.
Business Development Manager CV Example 1
Address: San Jose, CA, United States
Email address: email@example.com
Phone number: 632 845 6974
Skilled business development manager with 10 plus years of experience in sales management, strategic planning, and other business development areas. Competent in marketing products and services and searching for new customers to help businesses grow. An expert in setting and attaining goals, working and collaborating with people within and outside the firm, and training and mentoring others in the profession. Experienced in establishing lasting customer relationships, generating leads, creating suitable proposals for new business clients, and leading marketing and sales teams. Good at contract negotiations, discovering opportunities in potential markets, market research on competition, and assessing client and market needs.
Business Development Manager, Edwards’ Companies, Inc. California, United States
8/2018 – 11/2021
- Searched for prospective customers and converted them into loyal clients that contributed significantly to the growth and development of the business.
- Established relationships with top managers and senior decision makers such as the chief executive officer, chief financial officer, and chief marketing officers.
- Developed negotiation positions and strategies by assessing risks and opportunities as well as assessing the needs and objectives of partners.
- Developed customer acquisition strategy in close collaboration with the chief marketing officers and general manager to achieve the highest possible sales volume and profitability.
- Planned and supervised marketing functions that helped to identify the main marketing strategies. Eventually, these strategies facilitated the successful acquisition of new customers and sales growth
- Improved the reputation of the company by leveraging modern technologies such as social media to explore new business opportunities and create awareness, particularly of flagship products and services
- Implemented new loyalty programs that translated new clients into a loyal customer base for the company
- Reviewed customer feedback regularly and then suggested effective methods of improving the standard of customer services to increase the satisfaction rate to over 95%.
- Created and executed new and effective sales and marketing plans that eventually helped the company to maintain a competitive edge for the next five years
Business Development Manager, DTS Traders Ltd, San Ramon, California, USA
5/2015 – 8/2018
- Successfully contacted potential clients and established rapport and eventually, these clients became loyal clients who contributed to the growth of the business
- Planned and oversaw new marketing initiatives and programs that expanded outreach and soon after drew new clients to the company
- Conducted market research aimed at identifying new trends in the market. These efforts resulted in the discovery of market dynamics and this assisted in adjusting programs to suit market needs
- Increased value for the existing customers by introducing customization processes to tailor services to the specific needs of every client. These tailored services also helped to attract new customers
- Attended conferences and seminars and participated in discussions that led to the discovery of better approaches and techniques to different aspects of business development
- Developed goals and targets for business development teams that helped everyone to direct their individual tasks and activities toward a common goal
- Trained new personnel in the department and mentored junior managers. Eventually, they improved their skills and gained the capacity to perform their responsibilities better and achieve the set goals and targets
- Used computer programs such as MS Word and Excell to prepare plans and schedules that were easy to communicate and understand. These and other electronic documents helped to reduce printing and photocopying costs.
- Successfully resolved recurrent problems and conflicts among subordinates
Junior Business Development Manager, Pepsi Suppliers Limited, Alabama, US
3/2012 – 4/2015
- Implemented effective customer service processes that led to a 25% increase in customer satisfaction
- Planned, coordinated, and supervised the daily tasks and activities of interns and graduate and undergraduate business development managers
- Enhanced communication between the business development and marketing departments by introducing better digital communication channels. This move facilitated a better understanding of the competitive position
- Fostered and developed lasting customer relationships
- Ensured to understand the needs of different customer segments and then responded by developing effective plans to meet identified needs
- Researched new markets, trends, and growth areas and better methods for connecting and satisfying current markets
- Enhanced my skills and knowledge in the profession by attending training, conferences, and seminars
- 1/2009 – 10/2011, Bachelor of Business Administration, California State University
- 1/2005 – 11/2008, High School Diploma, Fremont High School
- 6/2012, Certified Business Development Manager, Harvard Business School
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- English (US)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Social media advertising
- Negotiation skills
- Sales and marketing
- Research and strategy
- Planning and organization
Business Development Manager CV Example 2
Address: Paris, France
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: 553 297 0385
Expert business development manager with expertise and experience in improving growth by leveraging business development strategies and techniques. Proficient in employing strategic planning, analytical thinking, and proven development techniques to improve market position and profitability. Equipped with the expertise to develop effective marketing and business sales strategy, plan sales campaigns, increase business sales, and conduct sales analysis and forecasts. Proven ability to negotiate pricing with clients and engage marketing departments and other parties to discuss promotional activities and strategies. Demonstrated excellent communication, leadership, and supervisory abilities.
Business Development Manager, Hilton Distributors, Inc., Paris, France
4/2017 – 5/2020
- Ensured to gain a good understanding of products and services. This understanding helped to advise and guide teams and members accordingly
- Trained team members about new business development methodologies to help them enhance their knowledge. In the end, this move enhanced their efficiency and service delivery
- Performed research and understood customer needs to develop suitable strategies to fulfill those needs on time.
- Developed relevant plans and goals that created unity of purpose among team members and ultimately increased business growth and profits.
- Conducted research and then planned and implemented initiatives to achieve new market goals and targets
- Generated leads and pursued them and ensured to move them through phases in the sales cycle
- Set goals for business development teams and created work plans and approaches to fulfilling those goals
- Attended industry events and conferences to enhance expertise and department operations and services
- Used MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to facilitate quick preparation of plans, schedules, status reports, and other documentation. Also used customer management program and other software to manage communications and various resources
- Assessed client and market needs and the ability of the company to fulfill them. Proposed acquisition of new resources and services to close identified gaps
Business Development Manager, B&G Companies, Inc., Andenne, Belgium
3/2014 – 4/2017
- Developed effective plans and strategies that facilitated the discovery of new business opportunities such as new markets and potential clients
- Carried out appropriate planning to implement operational changes relating to considered developments in the company
- Researched new markets, clients, and potential market areas to initiate sales and marketing campaigns and other marketing programs
- Initiated communication with potential customers to build rapport with them, organize product and service awareness, and know their specific needs
- Planned new sales and marketing programs and effective implementation strategies that helped the company to realize a faster turnaround than ever
- Supervised junior business development managers and other subordinates to ensure they follow set procedures in implementing business development plans, goals, and activities
- Ensured to create new value for customers by improving customer service standards and introducing effective market research approaches that helped to uncover and eventually fulfill undiscovered customer needs
- Trained and advised new employees and helped them to quickly adapt to the methodologies and procedures that the company preferred. Afterward, they delivered a significant positive contribution to the development initiative
Assistant Business Development Manager, Arthur & Sons Ltd, Colmar, France
1/2011 – 2/2014
- Conducted research on new markets and identified a couple of potential markets that the companies considered and expanded their market shares
- Collaborated with the marketing department to implement new sales and marketing initiatives that became very successful in winning new customers
- Took part in developing action plans for business development. This was followed by the implementation of the same and I stood out as the first employee to achieve individual goals and targets
- Leveraged technology to build and maintain customer relationships, helping the company to maintain stable growth and development during my tenure
- Collaborated with other team members to implement the set development strategies and techniques. In the end, these efforts helped to enhance service delivery and customer service
- Trained interns and new employees on various business growth and development aspects, thus, helping them to contribute effectively to different operations and activities in the department
- 2/2008 12/2010, Bachelor’s degree in business & marketing, ESADE Business School
- 1/2004 – 11/2007, Certificate of General Education (CFG), Jean-Pierre Vernant High School
- 6/2012, Certified Business Development Expert, ESADE Business School
- 10/2010, Digital Marketing Certificate, King’s College
- MS Office Suite – Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Hootsuite platform
- Rapport building skills
- Presentation skills
- Social media marketing
- Strong interpersonal and Communication skills
- Strategic planning
- Brand and staff management skills
- Analytical thinking skills
- Planning, organization, and time management skills
Business Development Manager Resume Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What Are Business Development Skills?
Businesses and executives often experience stunted growth because of the failure to recognize when problems occur. These problems can develop within or outside a company. To that end, executives now hire business development managers who bring on board various types of skills to identify and resolve issues with the aim of fast-tracking growth and development. Some of the main skills are communication, negotiation, strategic thinking, computer, and decision-making skills. Others include teamwork, program management, sales and marketing, rapport building, and organization skills.
2. Why Are Certifications Important In Your Business Development Manager Resume?
Authorized bodies and organizations provide certifications as records of proof for specific expertise. Earning such a certificate demonstrates your commitment to your profession and provides proof of your abilities. Adding your certifications to your resume provides evidence that you are qualified to perform a specific task or job. F or some positions, this proof may be exactly what pushes the scales in your favor. Even if the qualification is not essential for the position, it can still help you stand out from the competition, attract the attention of recruiters to your application, and make you appear to be a great candidate.
3. How Far Back Should I Go When It Comes To My Experience?
You probably won’t need to list each of your previous positions if you want to focus on relevant experience, which is a good thing. Your most current and relevant experience will attract the curiosity of hiring managers and recruiters. They also prefer concise resumes that are simple to scan because they receive a lot of applications. So they don’t have time to go through extensive employment histories. Thus, it is wise to keep your CV concise. The generally accepted rule is to provide not more than 10 years of experience in your business development manager resume. However, there may be some exemptions.
4. What Is The Most Important Section In Your Business Development Manager Resume?
The most significant section of your resume is the one devoted to your employment history – the work experience section. It is arguably the very first thing that comes to mind when you think of a resume. Similarly, employers evaluate your suitability for the position based on this section. It gives a summary of your prior experience. A strong job experience section is important because it demonstrates that you have the credentials a potential employer is looking for.
5. Which Is The Best Format For Your Resume?
The reverse-chronological format is without a doubt the best resume format. This is why: It is pretty easy to skim and read. This format is common, so hiring managers and recruiters are familiar with it.