Are you looking for a management position with more responsibilities? Do you want to be at the top of the ladder? Well, you should consider applying for your company’s open president position. However, note that you can only qualify for such a role if you have extensive management experience. This is a top-level executive role in the company, a role that is challenging and exciting at the same time.
Your main role as the president is to head the executive board and the leadership team of your organization. You are directly charged with strategic planning and ensuring the fulfillment of the company’s visions. If you are working towards becoming your entity’s president, we have something you will find helpful. We intend to look at the roles and responsibilities involved in this position and the different requirements. We have also included two resumes and a FAQ section that should answer some of the questions you may have when working on your resume. Walk with us.
The president heads the company’s executive board and leadership team to ensure the implementation of the entity’s strategic vision. Some key responsibilities for company presidents, regardless of the industry, including setting and tracking key operations’ goals, handling shareholders’ expectations, and bringing investors on board. Despite its perks and privileges, it is a highly challenging job requiring several skills. However, before looking at the skills required, let’s first find out the roles and responsibilities of company presidents.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assessing the company’s strategic plans and ensuring that goals are met based on them
- Overseeing the other overall operation of the company
- Offering oversight of the company’s staff, executives, and general budget to ensure its efficient operation
- Assessing the overall direction of the company in liaison with other managers and departmental heads
- Working with other top-level executives to develop short and long-term plans, strategies, and goals for the company
- Ensuring that the company is at par with its missions
- Considering the company’s vice president and directors when making final company decisions
- Staying updated with the company’s daily, quarterly and annual finances
- Analyzing all the company’s budgets and financial reports
- Ensuring that the company has enough mergers, investment opportunities, alliances, and partnerships
- Looking for the right investment opportunities and reviewing the company’s contracts
- Increasing the company’s progress and profitability by consistently updating and revising plans
- Staying up to date with the company’s tax exemptions, implications, and liabilities
- Ensuring that the company maintains a good relationship with industry leaders and the community to encourage investments
- Appointing or participating in the appointment of departmental heads and managers
- Improving the company’s performance, programs, and policies while cutting costs
- Going through the company’s sales reports, financial statements, and performance indicators and making improvements
- Ensuring that the company is headed in the right direction
- Supervising the company’s top-level executives or managers
- Regularly reporting to the board of directors when called upon
- Representing the company and maintaining a professional public presence on its behalf
Required Knowledge and Skills
- In-depth knowledge of the related industry and the existing market conditions
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of business and management principles
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to think critically
- Excellent professional image and public presence
- Outstanding presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work for long hours
- Ability to multitask
- Strong financial acumen
- Ability to work well under pressure
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Masters in Business Administration or a related course
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Management, or any relevant course
- Proven experience in senior-level management in the industry
- Experience working with top executives
The president is one of, if not the highest-paid member of the organization. Glassdoor estimates their average salary at roughly $173,000 a year with a base pay of close to $150,000. However, note that this salary differs from organization to organization, with some presidents charging millions for their services.
President CV Example 1
Physical address: 34 S 60th St Chicago, Illinois
Email address: email@example.com
Phone number: (654) 764- 3487
A certified financial and management expert with 10+ years of experience in commerce and high-level management. Humble and diligent professional with an in-depth understanding of management principles and techniques. A strategic planner, critical thinker, and avid team worker ready to steer organizations to new heights.
03/2019- 06/2022, President, Burnt Group of Companies, Fresno, CA
- Regularly listened to viewpoints and reports from 5 executive company leaders, including directors and the vice president, before making critical decisions
- Searched and negotiated alliances with 2 Fortune 500 companies, increasing our working capital by 40%
- Increased the annual company profitability by 50% through informed regular updates and revision of plans
- Regularly communicated with industry leaders and the community to create and maintain excellent relationships for easier management and expansion
- Analyzed ten departmental budgets yearly to ensure that the company’s departments were well financed for maximum productivity
- Started a junior workers’ mentorship program in all ten departments to train young hires on industry best practices and help them improve their performance
- Attended monthly quarterly board of director’s meetings and made presentations on the company’s progress and projects
- Met with the most valuable stakeholders, ensuring that they were constantly updated on the company’s performance, increasing their trust, cooperation, and feedback
02/2016- 02/2019, Vice President, Alcamo Insurance, San Diego, CA
- Offered assistance to the president and the 5-member board of directors in creating the company’s strategic goals, values, and overall mission
- Attended quarterly meetings with the board of directors to report on progress and share pertinent company information
- Ensured the continual growth of the company through daily management of revenue generation and operations
- Worked closely with the accounting department in managing the company’s finances and coming up with ways for revenue increment
- Started a community mentorship program led by ten volunteers from the company, improving our relationship and collaboration with the surrounding community
- Led, guided, directed, and assessed the work of 15+ senior directors and managers, ensuring that they were meeting their targets and productivity goals
01/2013- 10/2015, Founder, Pearl Financial Consultancy, San Bruno, CA
- Managed a team of 20+ employees offering financial consultancy services to 10+ clients
- Met with at least two clients every month to assess the effect of industry changes on their financial plans and provide recommendations
- Widened my client base from 1 regular client to 10, including a $20M investment company through commitment, excellent customer services, and result delivery
- Offered advice and recommendations to clients on little-known but lucrative investment solutions, ensuring that they were ahead of 90% of their competitors
- Sold the company in 2015 for $3M, making a profit of $2.5M from the initial capital
- 05/2016- 04/2018, Masters of Management, Northwestern University, Illinois
- 08/ 2008- 12/ 2012, Bachelor of Commerce (Finance Option), Harvard Business School
- 04/2006- 01/2008, High School Diploma, Lakewood Senior High School, Chicago
- System evaluation
- Computer savviness
- Data Entry
- Project Management
- Microsoft Office Suite proficiency
- System analysis
- In-depth understanding of business management tools and software
- Operations Analysis
- Numerical Skills
- Strategic planning
- Ability to deliver under pressure
- Time Management
- Verbal and written communication
- 10/13, Certified Public Accountant
- 12/16, Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
President CV Example 2
Physical address: 56 Park Ln #450 Park Ridge, Illinois, 67565
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: (678) 345-5647
Certified professional with 7+ years of experience as an economist and 3+ years of experience in management, being a founder of an economic consultancy. A humble and diligent specialist and manager with extensive strategic planning and system analysis skills. An excellent mediator and negotiator ready to give all it takes to achieve success
03/2019- Present, President and Founder, Block Economics, Chicago, Illinois
- Grew the company from an employee base of 5 to 15,000 in 3 years
- Liaised with the accounting department to ensure the exercise of strict financial management that saved the company $200,000 in expenses in 2021
- Working with 10+ departmental heads and top-level executives for the successful management of all corporate aspects of the firm
- Managed to raise $5 million by selling shares to investors in 2020, leading to the company’s expansion to 5 different towns
- Participating in the recruitment and retention of employees to ensure that the business meets at least 98% of its strategic goals through qualified labor
- Performed and managed all the accounting functions of the organization with the help of 2 accounting employees before raising $5 million from share capital and expanding the business
- Managing all aspects of business development in collaboration with five top-level executives
- Won the startup of the year award in January 2022 for infiltrating a market that had since been sidelined
- Instilled a culture of openness and collaboration at the start of the company for a dedicated and motivated employee base of 15,000 workers
- Managed to retain 100% of the employees present at the start of the company, currently serving in senior positions
- Managing 5+ client programs and projects not limited to staffing, contract management, client relationships, and employee relationships.
- Meeting with the board of directors monthly to report and recap the company’s performance and ensure business continuity
- Implementing cost-effective internal plans for two factions, i.e., the customers and organization, for increased profitability
02/ 2016- 01/ 2019, Economist Consultant, Brittle Economics, San Diego, CA
- Generated and analyzed daily data sets using SAS
- Offered sound advice to 10 businesses on their advertising campaigns, marketing tactics, and pricing strategies
- Regularly participated in the strategic planning of 5 multi-million-dollar businesses by forecasting consumer behavior trends and conducting market research
- Advised 30+ business owners yearly on financial matters, including debt management and budget creation.
- Improved the operational efficiency of 8 companies by an average of 30% by recommending the implementation of new technologies
- Regularly researched and analyzed market conditions to determine the feasibility of at least ten business plans monthly
- Consulted with 2 Fortune 500 companies on market expansion and introduction of new products and services to their existing markets
- Offered consultancy services to 5 startups, helping them improve their time management by 50% through efficient organization, increasing their overall efficiency by an average of 25%
04/2013- 01/ 2016, Economic Analyst, Bora Bora Group of Companies, Bakersfield, CA
- Provided support to 5 organization’s departments on the use of corporate forecasting system
- Worked closely with the sales and marketing team, offering forecasting services that led to the successful introduction of 20+ new products in our existing markets
- Thoroughly and intensively analyzed international economic factors favoring the business and offered recommendations that led to a 10% increase in annual revenue from our international markets
- Developed three effective macro-economic forecast models by using statistical techniques and tools, helping the marketing department to develop their corporate demand forecast
- Successfully offered business intelligence to users by creating 5+ computer-based analytic tools such as websites, dashboards, databases, and mapping programs
- Mentored five junior economic analysts for the company, bringing them up to speed with the company’s processes and improving their performance by an average of 30% in the first six months
- 04/2016- 06/2018, Masters in Business Administration, The University of Chicago, Illinois
- 02/2009- 01/2013, Bachelor of Economics, University of Illinois, Chicago
- 01/2006- 12/2008, High School Diploma, Chicago Senior High School, Illinois
- System evaluation
- System analysis
- Computer savviness
- Numerical skills
- Operations analysis
- Project Management
- Strategic planning
- Data entry
- Microsoft Office Suite Proficiency
- Written and verbal communication
- Ability to thrive in team settings
- Ability to work well under pressure
- 05/2012, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- 08/2016, Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
President Resume Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Which Keywords Should I Include in My President Resume?
There are certain keywords that hiring managers expect in the resumes of top executives, such as the president. You should ensure that they are evenly distributed in the different parts of your resume, but mostly in your working experience section. Some of the Keywords that will enhance your executive resume by making it ATS-friendly include corporate administration, teaming, consensus building, best practices, mentorship, benchmarking, optimization, performance improvement, alliances, joint ventures, multi-site operations, business development, responsibility, processes, instituted, developer, operational, strategic plan, bargaining agreement, cost-effective, community growth, government policy, and communication among many others.
Note that these keywords are derived from the most important roles of the company president. Interviewers and applicant tracking systems such as BambooHR will always prefer keyword-rich resumes.
2. Which Technical Skills Do I Need to Succeed as a President?
Every job in the world requires a set of technical skills. Unlike soft skills that improve relationships between individuals and can be learned as time passes, technical skills are mandatory when taking up a role. Some of the technical skills that every president or top business executive should have include computer savviness, proper understanding of different business tools and software, Microsoft Office Suite proficiency which covers apps such as Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel; digital marketing skills, outstanding Mathematical or numerical skills and operations analysis.
A president should also have system evaluation skills which come in handy in identifying system performance indicators and actions required for performance improvement, and excellent system analysis skills for determining the working mechanisms of systems and how any change can affect different outcomes.
3. How Can I Become a Company President?
The president is one of the top executives in the company, meaning that you need extensive valuable experience to become one. The only simple way to become a president or a top-level executive is to get the right qualifications (which include a Master’s in some instances) and have years of managerial experience. You can never be a president overnight unless you start your own company. In liaison with the hiring department, the board of directors must first ensure that you can steer the company in the right direction and help it meet its missions and objectives.
You should also focus on acquiring the right skills for a president when gaining managerial experience. To simplify our answer, first get a business-related degree (unless you are starting your own company), then gather extensive experience working in different positions, which will take time. You can also get a Master’s degree, such as a Master’s in Business Administration, which is highly recommended, during this duration, and then apply for the position.
4. What Are My Main Roles as a Company President?
Even though you’ll be required to perform several roles as the company’s president, some are standard. Every company requires its president to participate in short and long-range strategic planning, come up with ways of increasing the company’s profitability, develop, reassess and implement the company’s procedures and policies, conduct regular analysis of budgets and financial reports, find investment and partnership opportunities and lastly report to the board of directors and where necessary, act as their link to the shareholders and other stakeholders.
5. What Educational Requirements Do I Need to be a President?
You won’t need any academic qualifications to be a president if you start your own company. However, in the corporate world, employers need people with at least a Bachelor’s degree in Business or a related course and a Master’s degree in Business Administration or something similar. However, these two degrees do not automatically guarantee this position as you have to work your way up and gain enough experience. Make it a point to learn as much as possible about the organization and industry to qualify for this position.