Before businesses sell products to customers, most of them often acquire those products first to have a stock to sell. Procurement managers, who are not visible to customers, are key players in that process. These professionals perform a wide range of responsibilities that require professionalism. For this reason, employers are keen to hire people with relevant skills and experience in procurement. As a procurement manager, you need to show potential employers that you have the expertise and experience they are looking for.
Creating a striking procurement manager resume that lands you interviews can be challenging if you don’t know how to go about it. Whether you are looking for your first job or a better employer, this article can help. Read on to learn how to quickly create an outstanding resume. Discover the most important sections that should not miss in your resume. The article has resume examples to guide you every step of the way and help you create a striking procurement manager resume that wins you interviews.
Procurement Manager Job Description
A procurement management department oversees all processes surrounding the acquisition of goods, products, services, and materials to guarantee efficient business operations. Procurement managers are responsible for acquiring supplies and managing related processes. Any business or organization relies on the expertise of these professionals to procure items at the best prices and manage supplier relationships.
Companies charge a procurement manager, also referred to as a purchasing manager, with the responsibility of managing their sourcing capabilities. Procurement managers strategize and negotiate with vendors and suppliers to procure necessary and relevant products. They do that while ensuring to reduce procurement expenses. Therefore, businesses look for innovative individuals who can effectively lead their procurement teams toward achieving the set goals and objectives. A procurement manager spearheads the acquisition process, from selecting the best supplier to ensuring the business gets the best product.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Procurement Manager
- Develop inventive and proven procurement strategies that are cost-effective
- Review existing contracts with vendors and suppliers to ensure continuous feasibility
- Engage and source reliable vendors and suppliers
- Establish and maintain long-term relationships with suppliers and vendors
- Lead negotiations with vendors and suppliers to secure cost-effective and advantageous terms
- Create a procurement budget, implement appropriate budget controls, and promote a departmental culture of saving on procurement costs
- Keep track of inventory, shipments acquired goods, and hired services using IT systems
- Prepare regular reports on suppliers, supplies, and other procurement processes and operations
- Conduct risk assessment and analysis on potential agreements and contracts to avoid preventable losses and other risks
- Approve acquisition orders, plan for and confirm delivery of purchased products
- Assess goods that suppliers deliver to ascertain they are in good condition
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Leadership and management skills
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to collaborate with suppliers and build lasting relationships
- Detail-oriented, multitasking, and prioritization skills
- Organization and time management skills
- Excellent knowledge of procurement contracts and agreements
- Strong negotiation skills
- Great written and oral communication abilities
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in a procurement, business management, or supply chain management
Experience in managing supply chain and related operations, tools, and software High school diploma
According to Payscale, the average salary of a senior procurement manager is $116,480 per year while a procurement manager gets $85,345 per year. On the other hand, an assistant procurement manager receives $ 50,003 annually.
Procurement Manager CV Example 1
Address: Beverly Hills, CA 90212, United States
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: (946) 491-3752
Effective and forward-thinking procurement manager with over nine years of experience in procurement management. Adept at building long-term relationships with suppliers. Trustworthy, hard-working, and detail-oriented purchasing manager. Committed to following set procedures, rules, and policies to ensure a business moves towards achieving its goals and targets. Experienced in procuring products and services for medium to large organizations. Skilled in developing various procurement documentation such as agreements, contracts, and progress reports. An excellent communicator with an upbeat personality. Skillful in overseeing procurement processes and operations to the advantage of the business. Bringing forth valuable management, leadership, and industry experience.
Procurement Manager, Concentry ltd, Fremont, US
7/2019 – 9/2022
- Sourced components for a mobile business unit. This saw significant revenue growth in less than a year.
- Minimized active inventory by over 10 percent through the implementation of collaborative planning with procurement, manufacturing, and sales.
- Consolidated vendor base by 20 percent by getting rid of subpar vendors and the overall cost and efficiency were increased.
- Implemented policy changes in the procurement department and inspired personnel to operate at their highest level of effectiveness.
- Reduced the materials cost for the refurbishment center by 30 percent, which brought in more than a million dollars in revenue for the business in 2 years.
- Introduced a new supplier to the merchandising team, removing the need for a third party, and reducing prices by over 25 percent.
- Worked with IT to switch the inventory/purchasing management system from an old system to Microsoft Dynamics.
- Sold used parts that had been languishing in a warehouse for more than five years, bringing nearly $500,000 for the company.
- Identified cost-saving opportunities by examining the effects of eliminating SKUs and comparing shipping directly with stocking inventory.
- Managed effectively the strategic sourcing and procurement for the company, and was able to help the company realize its goals.
Procurement Manager, Westcon Transporters, Inc., Georgia, United States
5/2016 – 7/2019
- Developed and led teams, conducted negotiations with suppliers, and made sure that purchases were consolidated and leveraged across the entire company
- Created user requirements for IT and implemented effective procurement reporting methods for a new company-wide system
- Delivered on quality, pricing, process, and efficiency while driving up revenue and margin.
- Successfully executed logistics and procurement for the market of electrical and electronic items made in identified regions across the world
- Aggressively sought new suppliers and bargained with the current ones to obtain considerable cost savings
- Established quality check methods for suppliers and conducted personal on-site inspections
- Purchased quality products and ensured on-time delivery of all goods to guarantee continuous delivery of products to customers
- Developed strong commercial ties with a variety of suppliers, and maintained good relations with them. This helped to find ways to negotiate contracts and save costs
- Developed and implemented procurement policies that helped the department to function effectively, with every staff having a well-spelled-out list of duties and responsibilities
- Advised junior procurement staff, guided them whenever they got stuck, and intervened and resolved conflict and other issues among them
- Trained new staff in the department and supervised interns from time to time
Assistant Procurement Manager, Equipment & Robotics, LCC., California
2/2013 – 3/2016
- Managed a team of four members in ensuring optimal productivity and performance when it comes to procuring products and services
- Supported day-to-day operations in the procurement department to ensure quick response time to other departments
- Sourced goods for a wide range of customers and ensured sought items were available on time
- Identified opportunities that saved cost for the company, thereby enhancing profitability
- Developed and built lasting relationships with both existing and new suppliers
- Engaged suppliers in negotiations to agree on the best price that would guarantee profitability for the company
- Performed data analysis that involved monitoring mechanisms to identify the best approaches the company would leverage to save on cost
- Ensured to communicate effectively to the suppliers and vendors about the expectations and needs of the company including contractual obligations and agreements terms
- Led other procurement staff in complying and conforming to the set procedures and policies concerning the acquisition of goods and services
- 1/2009 – 12/2012, Bachelor of Arts in Procurement Management and Logistics, University of California
- 1/2005 – 11/2008, High School Diploma, Carson High School
- 10/2014, Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM), Institute of Supply Management (ISM)
- 12/2012, Certified Supply Chain Manager (CSCM), International Supply Chain Education Alliance (ISCEA)
- Skilled in using Microsoft Office Suite (Excell, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Proficient in using three procurement software: Oracle, Envision, and SAP Ariba
- Detail oriented
- Strong networking and negotiation abilities
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Aptitude in working with numbers and decision making
- Knowledgeable in procurement and sourcing techniques
- Excellent communication skills
- Adept in problem-solving and conflict resolution
Property Manager CV Example 2
Address: Bangor, Wales, UK
Email address: email@example.com
Phone number: 8746 924-615
Skilled procurement manager with nearly a decade of experience in leading and managing procurement teams and operations. Competent in formulating effective strategies. Strong knowledge in cost management and contract negotiation Knowledgeable in effective management of procurement processes and systems to assure timely acquisition and delivery of products and services. Proficient in making large and complex purchases. I’m experienced in overseeing and coordinating suppliers of different items. Talented in building and maintaining business-supplier relationships and analyzing markets. A committed, self-driven, and hardworking professional ready to enhance procurement operations, enforce controls to save costs, and increase profitability.
Procurement Manager, Aberyst Industries Ltd., Aberystwyth, Wales
8/2017 – 10/2020
- Developed innovative and cost-effective strategies that improved efficiency in the procurement department and eventually increased profits for the company
- Led a team of eight staff in finding and engaging reliable suppliers
- Ensured to obtain catalogs from different suppliers, analyzed them, and made necessary consultations before settling on favorable terms and prices
- Selected suitable and trustworthy suppliers after vetting possible suppliers and vendors and analyzing their potential, offers, and terms
- Negotiated with suppliers to obtain favorable prices
- Reviewed existing suppliers and the products they supplied to ensure they were complying with the agreed terms and conditions
- Effectively trained newly employed staff on all the operations and the procedures they needed to abide by. Through this training, they participated effectively in achieving set targets and objectives
- Supervised department staff to ensure they were doing the right thing and that they were working optimally and toward the same ultimate goal
- Ensured to acquire all the tools, furniture, stationary, and other resources that the procurement department needed to function efficiently and effectively
- Performed risk analysis of potential suppliers and prospective contracts to save the company from every avoidable loss and hazard in advance
- Developed budgets for the department, enforced budgetary controls, and fostered a culture of saving costs whenever possible while upholding quality
Procurement Manager, High Tech Supplies, Inc., Cardiff, Wales, UK
4/2014 – 7/2017
- Interviewed purchasing personnel including screening resumes and conducting in-person interviews, and hired competent and qualified candidates to fill vacancies
- Achieved long-term and short-term goals by securing and implementing effective procurement operations by setting priorities and strategic planning
- Enhanced product and material value by boosting quality and reducing cost through strategic global sourcing, and effective scrutiny of vendors to identify the best terms
- Performed staff performance review in the procurement department using key performance indicators guided by the set procedures and guidelines
- Increased the company’s market advantage and competitive edge by assessing local, national, and regional suppliers with an interest in costs, quantity, quality, payment terms, and delivery time.
- Attended industry events and trade shows and acquired both national and international suppliers for finished equipment, goods, and components
- Prepared procurement budgets and other documentation relating to the acquisition of goods such as lists of suppliers, products delivered, and regular reports on departmental operations
- Helped new staff to understand their duties and responsibilities and gave them advice on practical ways to resolve possible day-to-day challenges in their areas of operation
Junior Procurement Manager, Eagle Suppliers, Inc., Bangor, Wales
3/2011 – 4/2014
- Participated in looking for potential suppliers during trade shows
- Negotiated with suppliers and obtained favorable prices that helped the company to realize 20% profits in the following year
- Assessed delivered items to ensure they were in the right condition. Noted deformed items and organized for their replacement
- Achieved smooth running of procurement operations and processes by upholding the set guidelines and procedure
- Established long-lasting relationships with suppliers, something that helped the company to obtain reasonable prices during my tenure
- Managed procurement records effectively, making it possible to access any record when the need arises
- Coordinated a team of three staff, helping the department to operate effectively
- Participated in reviewing supplier contract documentation to align them with new company terms of engagement
- 1/2007 – 8/2010, Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, University of South Wales
- 1/2003 – 12/2006, Welsh Baccalaureate Diploma, Cardiff High School
- 8/2013, SCPro Certification, Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals
- 2/2011, Certified Supply Chain Professional, Association for Supply Chain Management (CSCP)
- Oracle Cloud Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- GEP SMART procurement platform
- Fourth Procurement and Inventory software
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excell, Outlook)
- Great attention to detail and multi-tasking abilities
- Great negotiation and communication abilities
- Strong leadership and people management skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage time effectively
- In-depth knowledge of supply chain management and preparing contracts
Procurement Manager Resume Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What Are Procurement Manager Skills?
A procurement manager manages and leads a procurement team to procure goods and services. One needs certain skills to execute this responsibility successfully. An effective procurement manager should be a great negotiator to perform negotiation processes as the company desires. Strong communication skills are important to facilitate communication with other staff and suppliers. The ability to build and maintain relationships with suppliers and vendors is important for anyone interested in the procurement manager job. Other vital skills are time management, detail-oriented, problem-solving, leadership, and management skills.
2. What Sections are Most Important in a Procurement Manager Resume?
There are some key sections that your resume should have. One of these is the work experience section. This section helps recruiters and potential employers to know your recent work engagements. It also helps them to understand the achievement you have had over some time. So, this is a must-have section in your procurement manager resume. The skills section is another important element of a CV. It provides an opportunity to show the skills that relate to the job. Using this section, a potential employer can know what you can do. The education section is another vital section in a CV as it helps the recruiter to know if you have the qualification the employer is looking for. Your contact information should always be present in your resume as well.
3. Why Is It Important To Create A Striking Resume?
Your resume mirrors the skills, experience, and achievements you have. It provides recruiters and potential employers with provable evidence of your competencies and know-how. Thus, create a striking CV that makes you stand out.
4. How Should You List Certifications On A Procurement Manager Resume?
Professional certifications can give you an edge over your competitors. Amidst fierce competition, listing respected and credible certifications can make a candidate stand out from their competition. These certifications prove that you have a set of competencies that make you a better candidate for the job. That said, the most common and easiest way to list certifications in your resume is to have a section dedicated to them. Simply have a heading named “Certifications” and list them underneath. You may also begin listing your most recent professional certificate.
There is no need to add any work history that is irrelevant to the job you are applying for. Such experience does not add any value to your resume. This is because recruiters are interested in relevant experience. If the recruiter is not convinced that you have enough experience, you will not feature on the interview list.