School nurse is one of the on-demand careers in the modern world. With millions of job seekers searching for the same role as you, a great resume can help in increasing your chances of getting noticed by your potential employer. To come up with a striking resume, you need to use the right format as well as fill in all the important information that may interest your potential employer. Sections such as your relevant experience, skills, and qualification should not miss in your resume.
Writing a striking resume depends on the needs of the employer. To achieve this, you need to match your resume with the job descriptions as outlined by your potential employer. Here, you will get two examples of how to write a compelling school nurse resume. These resumes illustrate the sections and information that most employers consider when looking for the right candidates to shortlist for the job. Use them to write a resume that can help you win interviews and increase your chances of securing your dream job.
School Nurse Job Description
The job description of a school nurse is the primary touchpoint between the candidate seeking a job and the organization that is hiring. A school nurse description outlines the responsibilities, duties, and roles to be performed by the right candidate once hired. When writing your resume for a school nurse role, ensure to match your roles, duties, and responsibilities with those specified in the job description.
A school nurse professional strives to advance the student’s and staff’s well-being while they are within the school environment. A school nurse’s main role is to promote healthcare by managing the day-to-day health issues that occur in the school environment. To succeed in this role, you must have the know-how of the practices and principles that guides professional nursing. You must also be up to date with the latest development in school health.
Roles and Responsibilities of a School Nurse
- Promoting the highest level of wellness in staff and students within the school environment by offering preventive healthcare services such as immunizations
- Making use of existing resources to offer proper healthcare to staff and students within the school environment
- Designing health plans for the staff and students with specific health issues
- Evaluating the status of staff and student immunization documentation when required
- Offering health counseling to staff, parents, and students
- Record keeping including filling in medical paperwork as required by the school management
- Conducting health assessments as well as screening for discrepancies in hearing, growth, development, and eyesight issues of students
- Providing referrals for worrying health conditions that may affect students
- Developing school health management procedures and protocols necessary for emergencies.
- Educating students on healthcare and safety matters such as hand washing
- Monitor and provide prescription medication depending on the instructions from other health institutions or parents
- Ensure compliance with local and national health laws
- Attending school meetings when necessary
Required Knowledge and Skills
- A bachelor’s degree in nursing or any other health-related field
- Member of the National Association of School Nurses
- Must be certified by the National Board for Certification of school nurses
- Must complete the national exam for registered nurses
- Proficient in Microsoft office suite
- Strong organizational skills
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Genuine interest in improving healthy living among students
- Should maintain a professional attitude and appearance
- Know-how regarding health agencies that assist students and their families
- Knowledge of district health policies and procedures.
Education and Experience
- Degree in nursing or other health-related fields
- Registered nurse certification
- Basic Life Support (BLS) is preferred
- A nursing license is required
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access)
- Experience in an educational environment
According to ZipRecruiter, a senior school nurse earns $96,500 on average per annum while a school nurse gets $61,869. A junior school nurse on the other hand gets an average of $25,000 annually.
School Nurse CV Example 1
Address: Houston, Texas, United States
Email address: email@example.com
Phone number: +1(281) 799 800
A certified nurse with over 9 years of experience in providing compassionate care to students, teachers, and other staff. Very instrumental in conducting students’ health assessment and physical screening to identify different medical issues amongst students such as hearing, vision, and existing health issues. Focused to excel in providing high-quality and patient-centered healthcare. Genuine interest in improving students’ lives. Uphold a professional attitude and appearance while at work. Possess solid analytical, problem-solving, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
School Nurse, Annex senior school, Missouri City, TX
1/2018 – 5/2021
- Educated students and staff on how to manage life-threatening diseases such as asthma, diabetes, and allergies among others
- Administered medications and monitored delegated prescriptions
- Conducted health assessments such as screening for discrepancies in hearing, vision, growth, and development of students
- Provided professional medical treatment to students and staff within the school environment.
- Detected physical problems amongst students early enough and conducted health evaluations to provide the right action.
- Provided emergency aid care as well as health assessment to students and other school staff.
- Created care plans for students with chronic health conditions such as asthma and diabetes.
- Helped in promoting programs on immunization and health education
- Maintained students and staff’s clinical records
- Assisted teachers in educating students concerning health and nutrition
- Offered first aid care and health evaluation within the school environment
- Helped parents to access health insurance and other health care services
- Communicated effectively with staff and teachers to ensure the well-being and safety of students
School Nurse, Modern Junior School, Houston Texas
11/2014 – 12/2017
- Attended 30 students every day and carefully diagnosed their concerns before deciding on the best actions and treatment to prescribe
- Identified alarming and abnormal behaviors and made the right interventions
- Worked effectively with parents and staff in managing communicable diseases within the school environment.
- Created and enforced school health management procedures and protocols in case of a health emergency
- Provided health training and counseling to parents, staff, and students when necessary
- Recognized safety and health complaints within the school environment and promoted a cohesive healthy social environment.
- Implemented an affordable alternative inventory account and management process that saved the school huge cost annually.
- Maintained proper students’ records including filling in medical paperwork as required by the school management
- Made of existing resources to provide proper healthcare to students and staff within the school environment
- Provided referrals for worrying health conditions that affected students while in the school environment.
School Nurse, Wisom Elementary School, Houston, Texas
- Maintained health folders for 300 students as well as filled all information about their health
- Designed and implemented plans for 20 students who had specific medical needs
- Conducted student medical assessments such as hearing screening, vision screening, measuring their temperatures, and weighing their weights
- Improved students’ well-being from 47% to 83% by offering preventive healthcare services such as vaccinations and immunizations
- Complied completely to all the school health and safety policies.
- Made referrals of serious medical issues that arose in school to the appropriate health facility as well as called parents/ guardians when necessary.
- Developed school health management procedures and protocols necessary for emergencies
- Monitored and provided prescription medication based on the instructions from other health institutions or parents
- Attended school meetings when necessary
- 2/2007 – 5/2011, Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), University of North Texas
- 1/2003 – 11/2006, High School Diploma, Carnegie Vanguard High School
- 6/2015, Certified Addictions Registered Nurse (CARN), Texas Christian University
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access)
- Internet proficiency
- American Sign Language
- Patience, empathy, and multitasking capabilities
- Ability to follow complex instructions
- Patient care and student relations
- Ability to make effective clinical decisions individually
- Procedures and protocol compliance
- Skilled in organizing different health programs
- Ability to handle first aid, minor trauma, and sports injuries
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented, patient-centered, and well-organized
School Nurse CV Example 2
Address: Bristol, England, UK
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: 7842 687-025
School nurse with close to a decade of experience in enhancing the well-being of staff and students. Skilled in implementing different health measures within a school environment to promote student health and healthcare. Experienced in diagnosing various conditions and prescribing appropriate medication and lifestyle changes. Committed to serving students and staff as a certified nurse. An advocator of healthy exercise and eating habits in schools to promote good health and ultimately academic excellence. Excels at supporting and advising learners with minor injuries and illnesses.
School Nurse, St. Ann High School, Bristol, England
5/2018 – 7/2021
- Created and implemented health procedures and management protocols, especially for emergency cases
- Attended to over 25 students daily, ensuring to prioritize those who had an emergency case and those with serious illnesses
- Carefully determined the seriousness of complaints and did physical assessment before determining the right action to take
- Identified abnormal and alarming behavior and then reached out to the management for further scrutiny, intervention, or remediation
- Implemented cost-effective diagnosis approaches and sought alternative health management processes, helping the school to save on cost
- Developed and implemented effective health plans for students with special health needs
- Adhered to school safety and health policies such as reaching out to parents concerning certain health cases and making appropriate referrals when necessary
- Created, stored, and maintained complete health records for all students and staff who sought health services at the school health center
- Successfully performed student health appraisals that included weighing, hearing screening, vision screening, and medical examinations
School Nurse, Riverdale Community School, London, England, UK
3/2015 – 4/2018
- Maintained office open for students to receive treatment for minor ailments and injuries.
- Acted as a health advisor to the administrative team in the creation of a new healthier school food menu for both students and staff
- Provided referral letters to students who needed to see specialists such as surgeons, physicians, or other health professionals
- Provided expert knowledge and direction as a health advocate in advisory sessions during health talks and safety training forums.
- Helped administrators understand how to create curricula for physical education and sexual health education.
- Organized and maintained health records for all students and staff that I attended at the school health facility.
- Provided students with excellent healthcare services throughout their academic period.
- Effectively executed my role of providing frontline health assistance to students and staff
- Checked, diagnosed, and provided advice to about 20 students daily during my tenure
- Responded to medical emergencies within the school and when accompanying students during different events
Assistant School Nurse, Borough High School, Colchester, England
5/2013 – 7/2016
- Offered health and safety education during health training forums for students, staff, and parent
- Identified safety and health concerns among students and staff, and took necessary action
- Diagnosed a variety of illnesses among students and staff and prescribed suitable medication and treatment methods
- Developed, reviewed, and implemented school health procedures and policies
- Documented nursing diagnosis, assessment, and treatment and used these records to review trends of health issues at the school. This information helped to implement different solutions that eliminated recurring issues
- Provided vision, hearing, and dental screening regularly and made referrals for cases that required specialized treatment
- Implemented individualized healthcare plans to help students uphold healthy habits that promoted their well-being
- Serviced health tools and equipment and ensured to maintain them in good condition to guarantee their normal functioning and extend their lifespan
- Developed and maintained contact with different health specialists that provided specialized care and service to school students and staff
- 2/2009 – 12/2012, Bachelor’s degree in nursing, University of Edinburgh
- 1/2004 – 11/2008, General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE), Braeburn School
- 6/2015, School Nurse Certification, King’s College London
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Great interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent clinical skills and knowledge
- Ability to multitask effectively
- Skilled in diagnosing different minor illnesses
- Excellent communication abilities
School Nurse Resume Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What Makes A Good School Nurse Resume?
To start with, a good school nurse’s resume should have all the important sections. These are the work experience, skills, education, certification, and contact sections. Recruiters are particularly interested in reviewing your skills and experience. This means the work history and skills are a must-have if you want your CV to stand out. Then, ensure to show that you have what the potential employer is looking for. For instance, show that you know the best practices and procedures that guide the school nurse profession. Moreover, a school nurse should have solid organizational skills and the ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, and teachers.
2. What Main Roles Should A School Nurse Include in Their Resume?
A school nurse is the primary contact person for students that need medical care. A school nurse’s main focus should be to handle health issues arising in the school environment. He or she should develop school health management protocols and procedures necessary for an emergency. To succeed in this role, a school nurse should be up to date with the latest developments in school health nursing. Another main role of a school nurse is to design health plans for students and staff with particular medical issues. This includes assessing the status of student immunization records. So, these roles should feature in a school nurse’s resume.
3. How Does A Typical Day Of A School Nurse Look Like?
A school nurse spends his or her day performing the following duties; conducting eyesight, hearing, and other medical screening, and treating ill students as well as those with ongoing conditions such as diabetes and allergies. They collaborate with teachers in teaching health habits as well as how to improve the well-being of students and staff within the school environment. A school nurse also uses the available resources to respond to emergencies that arise during school hours.
4. Is It A Must To Check The Job Description When Writing Your Resume?
Yes. You should always review the requirements the potential employer has stated in the job description. Doing that helps to customize your CV according to those requirements. For example, the job description will inform you about the work experience you should include and what is not relevant to the job. It will also guide you to include relevant skills that match the competencies the potential employer is looking for.
5. Why Should Your School Nurse Resume Be Direct and Clear?
As a school nurse seeking to land your dream job, you should make your CV as clear and direct as possible because recruiters spend less time reviewing it. Usually, hiring managers receive hundreds of resumes for perhaps a single school nurse position. It is not in them to spend days reviewing all these resumes. So, they take just a few minutes or even seconds to look at a CV. If they cannot find relevant information based on their requirements, they move to the next resume. You don’t want your CV to be among those that will be left out. The way to capture the attention of potential employers is to keep everything short and to the point. Make it easy for them to find what they are looking for. If your resume is direct and clear, recruiters will easily find your experience, skills, and qualifications that match their needs.